It’s really getting into all things grilled with this summer weather, so I though why not make a mediterranean panini?!
I finally went to the Fig Deli which I highly recommend if you live in Victoria. It has a huge assortment of olives, spices, tahini and all things mediterranean. I wish I went earlier, especially when I made my mega mezze plate. There is nothing like a good authentic deli where you can get all the ingredients you need for a fraction of the price.
After filling my basket with olives, za’atar (The most amazing spice blend of sumac, thyme and sesame) and some fresh focaccia, I started to think of how I could make this epic sandwich. I knew I already had some tomatoes and zucchini at home. Usually on my bike ride home, I figure out my recipe for dinner.
Although a grill isn’t needed, there is nothing like those amazing browned lines. If you do have one I highly recommend using it. I have this wonderful one from Cuisinart that really gets the job done.
My added tips!
Make sure to slice the zucchini, tofu and tomatoes as thin as you can. I find this way you get tons of great veggies in between layers of the bread. Truthfully, my boyfriend laughed at me when he heard me get so excited over the zucchini. It grills so effortlessly and tastes amazing. Really, it is a must for this Mediterranean panini.
There are many optional ingredients of things you can add to take this to an even further level. For example, vegan mayonnaise, roasted red pepper and hummus come to mind. Or you can keep things simple like me and have the few ingredients.
Lastly, the nice thing about this recipe is that you can set out a bunch of ingredients and let your family/guests build their own sandwich. My partner is not a vegan. For his mediterranean panini, he added some grilled steak and halloumi cheese. If you are intolerant to gluten, you can either get a gluten-free break or wrap it in collard greens and make more of a lettuce wrap. The options are endless!
I hope you enjoy this epic Mediterranean Panini! Please let me know if you try it
- 1 medium zucchini
- 3 roma tomatoes
- 1 block of extra-firm tofu
- ¼ cup grated carrots
- ¼ cup diced kalamata olives
- 1 tsp za'atar
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 loaf focaccia bread (or gluten-free alternative)
- Pre-heat grill to medium-high heat and season with a bit of oil
- Prepare vegetables: Slice zucchini, tomato and tofu lengthwise into ½ inch slices.
- Prepare marinade and set aside (If you have time, sit the tofu in the marinade for an hour or overnight)
- Place tofu and zucchini on grill and use pastry brush to apply marinade.
- Grill until charred marks occur. Put aside on plate.
- Place bread slices on grill just to warm, then assemble sandwich. Don't forget the olives and sliced carrots!
- Enjoy 🙂